10 Amazing facts about LEGO Minifigures
When contemplating the purchase of a LEGO set, the Minifigures it contains are often an important deciding factor for me. I have even been known to buy sets JUST for the Minifigures that come with them. This says nothing of the hours I have spent feeling Minifigure packages, or designing my own characters in the LEGO store. Minifigures are an important part of any LEGO collector’s life, so here are 10 amazing facts that you may or may not know about them!
10. A lot of thought has gone into Minifigures. The first Minifigure went through 50 prototypes and three years of development. Nowadays, it takes LEGO designers over a year to design and produce a new Minifigure.
09. The LEGO Minifigure was born in 1978, and their basic design has remained the same since then.
08. Since 1978, over four billion Minifigures have been produced. This makes them the Earth’s largest population.
07. Without its hat or hair, a Minifigure is exactly four LEGO bricks tall.
06. A Minifigure’s head is hollow in order to allow air flow and reduce the risk of choking in case of ingestion.
05. In 2015, LEGO was producing 23 Minifigures every second. That is a rate of over 725 million Minifigures a year.
04. Standing 725 million Minifigures side by side would stretch all the way along the Trans Canada Highway from St. Johns, Newfoundland to Victoria, British Columbia and back again with 14 million Minifigures to spare.
03. About 4 Minifigures are sold every second around the world. That’s over 126 million a year, which is three and half times more Minifigures than there are people in Canada (as of 2016).
02. LEGO Minifigures have traveled farther than any human being. They reached orbit around Jupiter in 2016 on the Juno Deep Space Probe.
01. If you had one of every unique Minifigure part ever produced, you could make 8 quadrillion different variations.
There you have it, 10 amazing facts about LEGO Minifigures. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed making it! Until next time,