I woke up this morning thinking: “What should I blog about today?” Well, that question was answered for me when I checked my notifications. I was nominated for my first award! A huge shout out and thank you to Nouae (https://nouae.wordpress.com/) who nominated me.
Basically, the Liebster Award is a way of networking and supporting blogs with less than 200 followers.
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
- Display the award on your blog by including it in your post.
- Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (Optional)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have less than 200 followers.
- List these rules in your post. Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
About a blog…
I am supposed to write about my favorite blog… I have to shamefully admit that before getting this award, I had not spent much time reading other blogs. While finding other like-minded blogs has been on my to do list, I felt like my blog had to have some content and substance before I started checking out other peoples’ work, in case they decided to come see mine… So, I have spent a large part of today exploring other blogs. But, I will not pick a favorite blog today. Instead, I have chosen to write about my nominator, Nouae, whose blog I have perused in the past (she was the first to ever comment on one of my pieces), and took a good look through today.
Nouae does not have a LEGO blog (though there is one in the works). But, in reading some of her posts, I have found a sort of fearless expression that I find admirable. She is putting herself out there and exposing vulnerabilities openly in a quest for self-improvement. Not everyone can take that leap and show themselves to the world. I have trouble posting things that are too much about me and my feelings. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing your LEGO blog!
The rules say this part is optional… Nouae answered questions her nominator posted, and then posted some of her own. So, in keeping with that tradition, here are my answers to Nouae’s prompts.
- What inspired you to start blogging?
My wife. My wife in Somber Scribbler. She started blogging as a hobby and introduced me to it, just like she introduced me scrapbooking. She is amazingly creative, and she inspires me to try to new things that I would not otherwise do.
- What do you like about yourself?
I am proud of my current fitness level. A few years ago I was putting on the pounds and getting really out of shape. I dedicated myself to changing my diet and exercising more. I track my calories, and hit the gym at least every other day. I am in better shape than I was in my late teens/early 20s!
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
That is a tough question… Part of me says “go back to Africa”, where I spent a year doing research on lions. Africa is a magical place that imprints on you. For ten years, it has always been at the back of my mind, calling me back. The other part of me says “go somewhere new”. I would love to see a wild tiger… India, perhaps? I would also love to eat in that underwater restaurant in the Maldives…
- Do you have a favorite flower?
Do LEGO flowers count?
- What job do you do?
I am a high school science teacher. I used to be a wildlife biologist.
- If you could give your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
I chose science/wildlife as my career and LEGO as my hobby… To my younger self: choose science/wildlife as your hobby and LEGO Master Builder as your career. Or just open your own LEGO shop…
- What is your favorite colour?
- What are you most proud of?
My stick-to-it-iveness. While I sometimes have trouble undertaking something new for fear of change or failure, I have learned from past experience that I am tenacious and can achieve my goals.
- Name on thing you would like to do but haven’t done yet.
See a wild tiger.
- Who has been a big influence on your life?
There are lots of people who have influenced my life… Everybody you meet will teach you something about yourself if you are willing to take the time to do some inward reflection.
And my nominees are…
- The Rambling Brick (https://ramblingbrick.com/): This is a blog I have recently started reading and enjoying. It is run by a fellow AFOL from Australia. I was thrilled to see that he has only 199 followers (at the time of this publication) and still qualifies for this award!
- FigureFan Zero (https://figurefanzero.com/): really fun action figure reviews.
- The Figure in Question (https://thefigureinquestion.wordpress.com/): more really fun action figure reviews! Run by a toy collector… I can totally relate to that!
- Trae’s Lego Blog (https://traeslegoblog.wordpress.com/): Hasn’t posted in a while, but this seventh grader has made some really cool LEGO comics, and I hope he continues to blog!
- Stepping Sideways with Bricks (https://steppingsidewayswithbricks.wordpress.com/): I have recently gotten into LEGO photography, and this blog is by someone who shares that interest!
- imockery (https://imockery.wordpress.com/): Found this blog today while looking for geek-related blogs. I was entertained.
Questions for you and more about me…
In keeping with the tradition set by my nominator and her nominator before her, here is a list of prompts for you to answer should you choose to for step 4.
- Everyone has a LEGO story from some point in their life. What is yours?
(My whole blog is about this…)
- Examine the diagram below, pick which one best suits you and explain why.
(I am ecstatic that people are actually reading my blog!)
- If you won an all expenses trip to any LEGOLAND in the world, which would you pick? There is a LEGOLAND in California, Florida, Dubai, Billund, Deutschland, Malaysia, and Winsdor.
(Malaysia – new and exotic place with a different culture, and big on Eco-Tourism. Plus, they have tigers!)
- If you could decide what the next official LEGO set would be, what would you choose?
(Jurassic Park Visitors Center)
- How do you see yourself? Make a LEGO Minifigure that represents you, and post it as your answer! You can make yourself into a Minifigure here: http://legoimaginenationtour.com/minifigure-creator/
- What is one of your major passions or interests?
(LEGO – it helps me unwind and de-stress)
- What is your favorite movie?
(The original Jurassic Park)
- If you were to write a book, what would it be about?
(Non-fiction, something incorporating travel, wildlife, and other cultures… or one of those DK LEGO Encyclopedia books)
- If all of a sudden you were given infinite resources to pursue your passion professionally, what would you do?
(Travel and write about it… and open my own LEGO-related store back home)
- Why did you start your blog?
(I love LEGO, I love writing, and I love drawing… my wife inspired me to put that all together.)